I was inspired by Roba Assi’s post on her top 10 things to do in Amman, and I decided to do my own.
Whether you’re a tourist visiting Amman or a Ammani that wants to do something different.
Check out my top 10 things to do in Amman:
1) Walking through Rainbow Street:
Photo by LumaQ
Start from the 1st circle and walk towards the end of Rainbow street, the best time to do this is when it not too hot, any time after 5pm and make sure to go hungry, there are so many things to try.
- Wazzap Dog (amazing hot dogs & toppings)
- Strada Café (great teas, must try: amazing Nutella coffee)
- Falafel Al Quds
- Gerards (ice-cream spot. Must try: Ferrero Roche or Arabic ice-cream)
- Souk Jara (Fridays only, must try: Batateekh watermelon juice)
- Cantaloupe (an amazing view outside that overlooks beautiful citadel, Ashrafeyeh, downtown Amman must try: Spicy buffalo tenders, Mini Burgers, Chocolate Fondant)
- Soap House (amazing local soaps & bath products)
JRF Show Room (Local souvenirs and home accessories made by local initiatives that empower women)
2) Walking from Rainbow to downtown
Photo by Hussam A'na
Walk down the famous stairs of Amman, seeing and feeling the sights and sounds of the real Amman.
- Make sure to buy some Asab Sukkar juice
- Stop by Habiba for a quick on the go Kunnafa
- Talk to local shop owners
- Buy your fruits, vegetables and spices
- Take advantage of the good bargains.
3) Going up to Jabal Al Qala’a and flying kites with kids.
Photo by LumaQ
Drive to Al Qala’a or better yet, walk up the stairs (in front of The Roman Amphitheatre). The first set of stairs up will take you to a wonderful viewpoint where you can take pictures of the Roman Theatre and downtown Amman. Continue up through the homes of Al Qala’a to get to the main site of the Citadel. You can build your own kite or bring one with you, the kids at Al Qala’a would love to help you learn this amazing hobby.
I have had a blast flying kites at one of the most beautiful historic sites in Jordan.
It is so therapeutic and an amazing place to watch the sunset and take pictures.
4) Watching the sunset at one of Amman’s many viewpoints
photo by LumaQ
Drive or walk to one of Amman’s many viewpoints that over look the city or beautiful landscape, there are so many in hilly Amman. Park or sit down and get comfortable and watch the sun set. Take photos (share them with BeAmman!).
It would be fun to bring some tea, snacks and friends along!
Please don’t litter. Most of these sites are badly littered from careless viewpoint visitors.
5) Friday Breakfast
No one can contest that Friday Breakfasts are the BEST thing about Amman. I’ve listed some of my favorite spots in Amman here:
Top 10 Breakfast Spots in Amman.
6) Biking with a group
Photo from Bike Rush Facebook page
There are many good biking groups in Amman that go all over the country on day trips or some around the city for a few hours. You rent a bike and go - a great exercise, a fun way to discover the city and country & a way to meet new people!
A few groups:
- Cycling Jordan: http://www.facebook.com/Cycling.Jordan
- Nader Bikes: http://www.facebook.com/NaderBikes
Bike Rush: http://www.facebook.com/bikerush
7) Go out for a photo tour
Photo by LumaQ
Take your camera; wear your comfy shoes and walk. Discover the city in your own way, in your own path. Take pictures of people, faces, cars, shops, interactions, facial expressions etc… Enjoy a quick bite of street food en route.
Some great places to go:
Jabal Al Weibdeh, Downtown into the different alleys, stairways of Amman, Jabal Al Ashrafeyeh, Jabal Al Taj, King Hussain Park, Fuhais, Mahis & Zabda area.
Let me know if you’ve discovered other great areas I’d love to check them out.
8) Go gallery & Museum hopping!
Photo by Darat Al Funun Facebook Page
There are so many great galleries and amazing art by local artists in the city, check out the wonderful galleries spread around Amman.
Here are some of my favorites galleries & museums in Amman:
- Art Matters - Abdali
- Dar Al Anda - Jabal Al Weibdeh
- Darat Al Funun - Jabal Al Weibdeh
- Foresight Art Gallery - close to 6th circle
- Nabad Art Gallery - 1st circle
- The Studio
- Jacaranda - close to books @ café (1st circle)
- Wadi Finan Gallery – 1st circle
- Royal Automobile Museum - King Hussain park
Children's Museum - King Hussain Park
9) Ride a horse
Photo (left) by LumaQ & (right) by Faris Shalan
Al Saifi Stables & Nadi Al Jawad Al Arabi are right next to each other on the airport road, enjoy a horse ride with an instructor or alone, there are ponies for the kids too! Al Saifi has a trail ride as well to enjoy the great outdoors.
Al Saifi Stables: 077 7442222
10) Beit Sitti cooking
Photo from Beit Sitti Facebook Page
Learn to cook, enjoy a session with friends, family or complete strangers at Beit Sitti! Choose whatever meal you want to cook preferably Arabic food like koosa & wara’, Magloobeh or Mansaf and learn the step-by-step process of cooking it with a professional chef.
It’s loads of fun & you get to eat a meal afterwards. The meal you cooked yourself gets donated to the less fortunate and a pre-cooked meal will be served to you and your friends.
Beit Sitti: http://www.facebook.com/BeitSitti
Let me know what your favorites are!